Jul 20, 2024  
2024 - 2025 Cowley College Academic Catalog 
2024 - 2025 Cowley College Academic Catalog

Enrollment Information

Steps to Enroll

Step 1 Apply for Admission

Applying for admission to Cowley College is free and takes just a few short minutes to complete an online application. Simply go to Apply Online, complete the questions on the application, and hit “submit,” and you will have taken the first step to becoming a Cowley Tiger!

Step 2 Select a Pathway/Program of Study

Visit our Programs (By Degree)  listing to review over 100+ Program Pathways that Cowley College offers to find the plan to meet your educational goals. 

Click on a program to view a Degree/Certificate Plan of Study that outlines which courses you should complete. Meet with an advisor to discuss your educational goals.

Step 3 Pick Location

If you want to be involved in a rich campus environment, including performing arts, sports, clubs and activities, and campus housing/dining, the main campus in Arkansas City, KS is the place for you.

If you want to experience our newest location with a smaller campus setting, including housing, our Sumner campus is a great option.

If you want to focus on Allied Health careers, then the Allied Health Center in Winfield, KS is the best choice.

If you want to live at home and commute and take courses in a small, friendly educational center, then our Mulvane Science, Engineering and Academic (SEA) campus may be right for you.

If you are interested in Career & Technical Education, you may choose to attend one of the technology centers in Arkansas City, Mulvane or Wellington. 

If you wish to take fully online classes, Cowley College Online may be a perfect choice for you.

Step 4 Find Courses

Once you have a Program of Study and a Location selected, the next step is to see what courses you should take for the upcoming semester.

Go to course schedules when enrollment for a semester begins. 

Step 5 Enroll

You are now ready to enroll. If you are a new student, Admissions’ representatives will help you with paperwork, assessment testing, financial aid, degree planning, and enrollment.

Select the enrollment location that is most convenient for you: Arkansas City, Wellington, Mulvane, or Wichita and book an appointment: Book Appointment. (Walk-Ins are also welcome.)



If you have decided on a Degree/Certificate program, the Plan of Study for that program will indicate which courses or electives are recommended.

Enrollment for Fall and Summer classes begins in late March and enrollment for Spring classes begins in late October. Class Schedules offered for each semester/session are listed at this link.

Once a student has completed requirements for admission to Cowley College, registration for classes may begin as soon as enrollment has opened for a semester.

Note: Students who enroll in classes will be held responsible for payment of tuition and fees. Tuition and fees will be credited back to the student’s account ONLY if the student officially drops the class(es) prior to the start of the semester or within the refund period. Students should have payment arrangements in place prior to the first day of classes each semester.

Develop an Educational Plan

Before you enroll, make a plan that ensures you meet your educational goals. Cowley College offers a wide variety of courses specifically designed for transfer. This enables you to complete your first two years of coursework leading toward a bachelor’s degree in virtually any field of study at a four-year college or university.

The keys to a successful transfer are to start planning immediately and to select your coursework carefully. Cowley’s academic advisors are available to help you develop an education plan

In addition to the general articulation set forth by the Kansas Board of Regents between community colleges and the Kansas Regent Universities, Cowley College has articulation agreements with major universities for transfer of certain associate degree programs into specific baccalaureate degrees and programs.

New Students

New students need to arrange a meeting with Admissions at any Cowley College location.

Students who plan to take a college level English or mathematics class or who are seeking a degree or certificate may be required to take all or part of the course placement assessment. If the student has taken college coursework we will need the official transcript from school(s) attended. Cowley College will accept unofficial copies to enroll but will require an official transcript.

Admissions will assist the student in course selection and degree or certificate planning based on career interest and assessment results. Students will work with an admissions representative who can assist them with enrolling in Cowley Connect.

New First Time, Full Time Freshmen should be enrolled in New Tiger Orientation and First Year Experience (FYE). Students can contact admissions or call 620-441-6335. Book Appointment.

Current Students

Current students may be released to enroll themselves online through Cowley Connect; however, students are encouraged to meet with an advisor to discuss courses appropriate for their academic goals. It is the students’ responsibility to schedule the enrollment appointment with their advisor once enrollment has begun. It is best to enroll as early as possible. Students who do not have an advisor can arrange an enrollment appointment with Admissions at any Cowley College location. Students with unpaid balances will be placed on enrollment hold until balances are cleared.

Returning Cowley College Students

Returning students need to arrange a meeting with Admissions at any Cowley College location. Admissions will assist the student in course selection and degree or certificate planning. 

Students can contact admissions, call (620) 441-6335 or Book Appointment.

When a student returns and degree requirements have changed, they will be required to follow graduation requirements that are in effect at the time of re-enrollment.

Transfer Students

Transfer students need to arrange a meeting with Admissions at any Cowley College location. Admissions will assist the student in course selection and degree or certificate planning. 

Hours accepted from another institution to Cowley College are reflected on the Cowley College transcript and can be used as hours toward graduation. However, the GPA on a Cowley College transcript reflects the GPA only for hours taken at Cowley College.

Students can contact admissions, call (620) 441-6335 or Book Appointment.

Guest Students

Once a student has completed requirements for admission to Cowley College, registration for classes may begin as soon as enrollment has opened for a semester.

Guest students need to arrange a meeting with Admissions at any Cowley College location. Admissions will assist the student in course selection and degree or certificate planning. 

Students can contact admissions with questions, call (620) 441-6335 or Book Appointment.

High School Students

Cowley College provides an opportunity for qualified high school students to earn college credit prior to graduating from high school. Some high schools allow the college credits earned to also count as dual credit towards their high school requirements.

Cowley College offers two distinctly different programs for high school students.

Academic Programs
High school sophomores, juniors, seniors, or ninth grade students who are classified as educationally “gifted” and who have a current Individual Education Plan (IEP) can take academic courses and earn college credit. Students must have a minimum 2.75 grade-point average and meet minimum assessment requirements.  For more information regarding High School dual enrollment and the requirements of the program, go to (Earn College Credit in High School) or contact the Associate Vice President of Academics and Secondary Partnerships at 620-441-5247 or High School Admissions Representative 620-441-5303.

Career and Technical Education Programs

Qualified high school juniors and seniors can enroll in Cowley College’s Career and Technical Education programs. The State of Kansas will pay tuition for many designated qualifying Career and Technical Education classes, so students can take the fast-track toward earning a degree, certificate, industry- recognized credentials, or work-ready skills. Go to this link for more information.

Students interested in enrolling in a Career and Technical Education program while in high school should contact their high school counselor for information on the selection process or call the Cowley College Career & Technical Education Department at 620-441-5279.

International Students

International students need to arrange a meeting with the International Student Services Coordinator. Assistance will be provided to the student in course selection and degree or certificate planning. 

Email the International Student Services Coordinator or call 620-441-5274

International students who have college or university credit from a foreign country may wish to have the foreign credit evaluated and transferred to United States college credit. There is a fee for this evaluation service. For more information, please contact the Registrar or Admissions.

Registration Guidelines

Assessment and Course Placement

Cowley College offers many programs, services, and classroom activities to promote and support student connections and success in the learning process. Mandatory assessment and placement in basic skills courses is an important first step. Ensuring that students begin academic courses at the appropriate level is critical in helping students become involved in the learning process. Such placement allows students to connect with other students with common academic challenges and abilities as well as build the necessary academic skills to move forward.

  1. Students who are seeking a degree or certificate or are registering for twelve (12) or more credit hours are required to complete placement tests in English reading, English writing, and mathematics. Students registering for fewer than twelve (12) credit hours are required to complete placement tests in English reading, English writing, and mathematics prior to registering for English composition or math courses, or after attempting twelve (12) credit hours. Once the student has attempted twelve (12) credit hours, they will be put on “Assessment Hold” and not allowed to enroll until assessment requirements are fulfilled. All or part of testing may be waived by providing documentation of one of the following:
    • For English writing: An ACT English score of 20.
    • For English reading: An ACT Reading score of 18.
    • For College-level Mathematics: An ACT Mathematics score of 21. (Placement for College Algebra with Review or Intermediate Algebra, ACT 17 - 20. Placement for Quantitative Reasoning, ACT 19 - 20.)
    • A college degree from an accredited institution. Appropriate mathematics and English courses must have been taken.
    • An official college transcript from the last three years listing the writing, math, or reading prerequisite courses completed with a grade of a C or better.
    • Assessment results within the last three years from another institution.
  2. After students are assessed, they are placed into the appropriate course. Students must successfully complete the required course(s) to move to the next level of coursework. Once a student begins a math course sequence, they cannot retest or skip a course level. Placement is enforced through the student registration system. It is also monitored after grades are posted at the end of each semester. Students who do not complete required coursework to meet the prerequisite requirement for the next level course with a grade of C or better are notified and required to re-register for the course.
  3. Cowley College provides students with the opportunity to retest one time at the beginning of their course sequence if they feel their initial assessment results do not adequately reflect their ability. The fee for retesting is $5. If the student still feels the placement is inaccurate, they may appeal to the Student Affairs Committee. This committee will review any evidence submitted by the student and make a final decision regarding the student’s appropriate placement. The decisions made by the Student Affairs Committee will be final.

Student Course Load

For financial aid purposes, a student is considered full-time when enrolled in twelve (12) credit hours. However, most students enroll in 15-16 credit hours as full-time students in the Fall and Spring semesters. The standard course limit for the summer term is nine (9) credit hours.

Students may petition their advisor to exceed these standards for up to nineteen (19) credit hours (Fall/Spring) upon presentation of justifiable needs and better than average scholastic records. Permission must be obtained from the Vice President of Academic Affairs in order to exceed nineteen (19) credit hours.

For registration purposes, a student must be enrolled in at least twelve credit hours to be considered a full-time student in the fall and spring semesters.

For registration purposes a student must be enrolled in at least six credit hours to be considered a full-time student in the summer term.

For financial aid purposes, the college follows the Federal Student Aid guidelines as determined by the U.S. Department of Education.

Adding and Dropping a Credit Class

Adding a Credit Class

Students who wish to add a class after the beginning of the semester must do so within seven calendar days of the first class meeting for nine to 16 week classes, and within three calendar days of the first class meeting for eight-week classes. The last day to add a class less than eight weeks in length will be determined by the Registrar and published each semester. Students may not attend a course unless officially registered for the course.

Dropping a Class

To drop a class, the student must complete and submit a drop/add form or drop from their Cowley Connect account. Classes may not be dropped by telephone. For refund information, check with Admissions.

Refund dates for each class are found on the student’s schedule.

In rare occasions, a student may need to switch from one section of a class to another to better meet their needs. In such occasions, a drop/add form must be completed by the student and signed by both instructors. If this is requested after the drop/add deadline, it will require the aforementioned completed form and approval from the Vice President of Academic Affairs. The current grade from the first instructor will be transferred to the second instructor.

Course Withdraw

Students who wish to withdraw from a course after the refund date of the course is over will have a “W” grade recorded on their transcript and will be responsible for one-hundred-percent of their tuition and fees associated with that course.

Complete Withdrawal Policy

A complete withdrawal is defined as a student withdrawing from all their courses for a given semester.

The procedure for a complete withdrawal from all classes is as follows:

  1. Obtain a COMPLETE WITHDRAWAL form from the Registrar’s office, an advisor, or student forms in Cowley Connect.
  2. Meet with Enrollment Management staff to complete the form.
  3. Return the form to Registrar’s office. A “W” grade will be recorded on the student’s permanent record if the refund period for the course(s) has passed.

A complete withdrawal will have an adverse effect on Federal Aid.

Adding/Dropping a Class-Effects on Tuition and Fees

If a student-initiated schedule change reduces the total amount of tuition and fees, 100 percent of the difference will be refunded as per the refund policy.

After the expiration of the refund period, an even exchange in tuition may be granted in the following situations:

  • Change in section for the same 16-week class.
  • Change in section for the same short-term class that begins during the same week and extends over the same number of weeks.
  • Change from a higher-level Math or English class to a lower-level Math or English class in the same 8- or 16-week term.

If a student withdraws from a class and adds a different class after the expiration of the refund period, the student will be required to pay the additional tuition and fees.

Students may obtain a copy of Policy 410, REFUND OF TUITION AND FEES.