MUS2643 COWLEY COLLEGE SINGERS II
1 Credit Hour
This course is open to students on the college level in both the Freshman or Sophomore year.
MUS 2643 - Cowley College Singers II (1 Hr.)
The Cowley College Singers are a highly visible and very entertaining performance ensemble. Auditions are held at the beginning of the fall semester and students must be a member of the concert choir. This group incorporates dance movement into its show and performs many times throughout the year.
Performance / Ensemble
Audition only and must be a member of the Concert Choir.
Music is an essential part of our social and cultural fabric. Performance-centered classes allow each student to improve their skills and talents as musicians and to develop their levels of expression.
Upon completion of the course, the student will:
- Further develop vocal technique
- Improve their understanding of the basics of music rehearsal and performance.
- Develop and understanding of their role as a performer in an ensemble setting.
- Perform various pieces of music.
Units Outcomes and Clock Hours of Instruction for Core Curriculum:
The following outline defines the minimum core content not including the final examination period. Instructors may add other material as time allows.
UNIT 1: VOCAL FUNDAMENTALS
Outcomes: Students will develop fundamental singing technique
- Identify and produce proper tone
- Define and use musical terms
UNIT 2: REHEARSAL TECHNIQUES
Outcomes: Students will improve their understanding of the basics of a music rehearsal
- Follow and implement given instructions
- Perform various expression and tempo markings
- React musically to conducting gestures
- Come to class prepared
- Perform their roll in any given work at any given time
- Demonstrate their role in the ensemble regarding balance and intonation
UNIT 3: PERFORMANCE
Outcomes: Perform various pieces of music in public
- Implement what was learned in rehearsals
- Accurately perform the demands of each piece of music (style, expression, rhythm, tempo)
- Properly evaluate their performance for strengths and weaknesses
- Demonstrate their role in the college community as a musician and performer.
As assigned in class
Please Contact Bookstore for current textbook.
Students should adhere to the attendance policy outlined by the instructor in the course syllabus.
The grading policy will be outlined by the instructor in the course syllabus.
Maximum class size:
Based on classroom occupancy
Course Time Frame:
The U.S. Department of Education, Higher Learning Commission and the Kansas Board of Regents define credit hour and have specific regulations that the college must follow when developing, teaching and assessing the educational aspects of the college. A credit hour is an amount of work represented in intended learning outcomes and verified by evidence of student achievement that is an institutionally-established equivalency that reasonably approximates not less than one hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out-of-class student work for approximately fifteen weeks for one semester hour of credit or an equivalent amount of work over a different amount of time. The number of semester hours of credit allowed for each distance education or blended hybrid courses shall be assigned by the college based on the amount of time needed to achieve the same course outcomes in a purely face-to-face format.
Refer to the following policies:
402.00 Academic Code of Conduct
263.00 Student Appeal of Course Grades
403.00 Student Code of Conduct
Disability Services Program:
Cowley College, in recognition of state and federal laws, will accommodate a student with a documented disability. If a student has a disability which may impact work in this class and which requires accommodations, contact the Disability Services Coordinator.