Sep 17, 2021  
2019 - 2020 Cowley College Academic Catalog 
2019 - 2020 Cowley College Academic Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Graduation Information

Graduation Process

Graduation Application

Students must fill out a Degree Application to graduate and file it in the Registrar’s office by the following dates:

  • October 1 for Fall degree completion
  • March 1 for Spring degree completion
  • July 1 for Summer degree completion

Forms are available in the Admissions office on the main campus in Arkansas City, at all outreach centers, or online at

Students must be a high school or GED graduate to qualify for an associate degree. Cowley College awards the Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, Associate of General Studies, Associate of Applied Science degrees, and the College Certificate.

Those receiving the associate degree are expected to demonstrate the ability to communicate both orally and in writing, possess knowledge of mathematics and the physical world, and be aware of past and present cultures.

In order to qualify for either the degree or certificate at Cowley College, a student must complete a minimum of fifteen (15) credit hours at Cowley College, which counts toward the degree or certificate. Developmental courses cannot be used to fulfill degree requirements.

The Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degrees as listed may not meet the requirement of the Transfer and Articulation Agreement. Students who plan to complete an associate’s degree and transfer as a junior in their major should achieve the following goals:

Complete the Associate in Arts (AA) or Associate in Science (AS) degree.

  1. Fulfill the lower-division (freshman/sophomore-level courses) general education requirements of the institution you plan to attend.
  2. Every four-year college or university has different general education requirements. Transfer guides summarizing these requirements for the colleges and universities popular with Cowley College students are available at
    For other schools, students should consult their catalog and/or contact the intended transfer institution for additional information. In most cases, if you select your general education coursework carefully, you can simultaneously satisfy the general education requirements for both Cowley College and the transfer institution.
  3. Fulfill the lower-division requirements in your major field of study.
  4. You should familiarize yourself with the criteria for admission into the specific program major at the college where you plan to transfer. In many cases, specific lower-division coursework is required. Ask for transfer guides for specific majors and/or consult the catalog of your transfer school.
  5. When you are ready to transfer, obtain a Request for Transcript form from the Registrar or Admissions.
  6. Complete the form, requesting that a transcript of your Cowley College coursework be sent to your transfer school. Be certain to verify that your transfer institution has received the transcript. If you experience difficulty in transferring any of your courses, contact the Registrar.

Generally, when a college official intercedes on behalf of the student, he or she is able to facilitate the resolution of transfer problems. Students need to work with their advisor to ensure proper transfer of credit to private and public four-year colleges and universities located out of state.